Monday, November 14, 2011

Becoming a Country Bumpkin

Did you know I used to live in Minneapolis?  Within the city limits?  Within walking distance of downtown?  Yup.  I lived in the Midwest for a whole decade.  I used to live in the thick of it.  I ordered fancy $4.00 coffees at cool coffee shops.  I ate out all the time.  Oh, the food .... the food!  I used to go to music concerts.  And (gasp) I shopped for my clothes in a mall.  I admit, I have never been overly fashionable.  (Those of you who know me well need not nod your head in whole-hearted affirmation.)

Then, John and I decided to up and move to a little town in NH.

I didn't realize I made the slow transformation from hip twenty-something-year-old living to thirty-something-year-old rural life.  But it happened.  It hit me like a ton of bricks.   Recently flying back to Minneapolis showed me that.  There were some seriously swank women in the airport.

Apparently skinny jeans are cool.

Apparently baggy jeans aren't.  They are kind of frumpy.

Apparently wearing your hair in a messy bun is so '90s.

Apparently I should get those boots I love - and wear them on the outside of skinny jeans.

But I hate skinny jeans.

And, like an old person, I gasped at the price of a small coffee in the airport.

It is official, folks.  I think I might be an aging country bumpkin.

So I bought some lipstick.  "Lip Shimmer" actually.

But I can't give up the banjo or quilting or my pick-up.  I just can't.

3 comments:

  1. Kathleen! AMEN! I don't live in the sticks ;-) like you and I still feel like an old maid half the time. I recently tried on my first pair of skinny jeans (because I wanted a certain pair of boots) and let me tell you - they accentuated everything I try so hard to hide! I used to be a fashion major and dreamed of going to school at FIT in NY. Now I'm lucky to get a shower in the morning! I can totally relate. I know there's a 'You know you're a mommy when...' somewhere in there! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been a country bumpkin. . . I sometimes try to relate when in a large town but Tallahassee suits my bumpkin needs pretty well. Large town for convenience but just a hop away from the woods, lake, ocean, pastures, and I don't know if I could handle not burning a bon-fire at will. Even if you catch me pretending, don't have the patience or time to care about all of the city livin' rules or $4.00 coffees for that matter. I'd rather brew my own pot and spend all day in the garden or walking in the yard checking for fruits and veggies. Good to hear you're keeping it real!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really laughed at this! You're ignoring the fact that you were a rural gal for the first 18 years of your life! But I totally get the aging thing. I will always be 29 years ahead of you since that was my age when I gave birth to you... And skinny jeans only look good on young, skinny girls. I need something I can bend in when gardening, crawling under the sink, or lugging wet laundry!

    ReplyDelete