Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Gaining Strength

It is funny, maybe even a bit frustrating, that I am doing so well now that I am off bed rest. I think being on bed rest made me believe that I would have Darren as soon as I was free of my bed fetters. Emotionally, I am so ready to be done with this pregnancy. Today marks 36 wks 3 days of pregnancy, and now that I have been on my feet a bit more, my contractions have actually slowed down. My body is adjusting from a feeling of an eminently close and dangerous labor, to a rather normal 8 month pregnant feeling. Yes, I am a bit uncomfortable, but isn't every woman uncomfortable in their last month? Yes I am tired, but isn't everyone? Yes, I am sore, but again, discomfort is normal for an 8 month pregnant woman. And so, I stick with my prediction that Darren will not be born until April.

Most importantly, I am gaining strength. Really, I am astonished at how quickly I am starting to feel "normal". The first day I came home from the hospital I stood half way up the stairs and cried in John's arms. My muscles were so flaccid and infirm that I struggled to make it upstairs in one shot. That moment was the most humbling of all for me - admitting to my husband how his normally active wife was not able to ascend a single flight of stairs without worrying about falling from fatigue. But as always, he was patient.

It is now 2.5 wks later. In comparison, when I am fatigued now, I don't have to lay down. Usually I am better after sitting upright for a bit. No, I still don't have complete strength. But the point is that strength is returning. This may have to do with eating much better food. (Last night I had some wonderful lamb stew.) Or it may be due to the TLC that John has doted upon me. Believe me, the TLC has been plentiful. Or maybe my children's hugs and laughter and smiles have drummed a little more joy and determination into my muscles. Regardless of what it is, I am (slightly) stronger now. Yesterday I visited a friend, did laundry, vacuumed the stairs and cooked dinner! I was even able to attend the board meeting for my kids' school - allowing the quorum to be met! This was by far my most productive day in months!

So watch out world. At this rapid rate, I will be svelte and firm and a bundle of energy in no time! I might start to have muscle bulges in my arms and legs and abs. I might even start to grow a mustache and lift 175 kg weights in competition! But I think I'll settle for being able to hike, run a couple miles and rock climb again. Or go sledding with my kids. Or walk with them the 1/4 mi to school. Or at least make it through the day with the ability to enjoy my bed for 10 minutes before starting to snore.

No comments:

Post a Comment