Friday, March 18, 2011

Vocabulary

I have always loved words. I love to read poetry, and to hear the way the sounds and rhythms roll. I laugh with gusto over puns. I enjoy cryptograms. I love scrabble. And though I am not a great writer and I often make up words, or use the wrong word or misspell a word, I can't help but pour over words.

While I was in the hospital, I joined the International Scrabble Club. I didn't ever get up my nerve to play. After observing a game for about five minutes, I wasn't so certain it was in English, though it explicitly was listed as such. A bludgeoning didn't appeal to me that day. I assuaged my bruised pride by imagining that I would just end up playing some nasty sixty year old man who is sitting around in his boxers with his laptop on his knees and a vodka in his hand. Yuck.

I resorted to Merriam-Websters online dictionary. There are all sorts of wordy-nerdy things on there. There is always the word of the day. But my favorite is that there are word games to play. Jumble Jong is excellent - sort of like one man scrabble. Jumble crosswords are another of my favorites.

Then there is Word Drop. Word drop has the potential to be a great game - it combines words and Tetris. How fun is that? But Word Drop has a horrific dictionary. At first I tried to play to see how many levels I could conquer. But after that seemed a little easy, I made it my goal to score high points, not worrying about levels. I am disappointed that you can't use a lot of words: qiviut, swivet, jonquil, or even groat. Really, is groat that uncommon? So I was feeling pleased until I humbled myself with the knowledge that it is just a computer, made by a human - and probably not one that has a liberal arts degree. And then I remembered my sister, Bets, and my neighbor, Carrie, have way larger vocabularies than I do.

Never the less, I have had some enjoyment exercising my mind as well as my body now that I am off bedrest. Here are some of my favorites. Some are new (to me) and some are old. Some are fun to roll off your tongue, some are great for game playing, and some just have a funny definition:

swivet: a state of extreme agitation
callipygian: having a shapely buttocks
defenestrate: to throw a person or a thing out a window
qiviut: the undercoat of wool of a musk ox
jonquil: a plant similar to the amaryllis
ginkgo: an ornamental tree with fan shaped leaves
persnickety: fussy about small details
fjord: an inlet of sea between two cliffs or steep slopes
wuther: to blow with a dull roaring sound
hoary: gray or white with or as if with age
et: the past participle of eat

And even though I am glad that I can score over 1200 points on word drop on the first level (kind of pathetic, I know), I am interested in expanding my vocabulary. I don't want a larger vocabulary for word games, but just because I think words are interesting. So I am wondering, what are your favorite words?

5 comments:

  1. I remember learning defenestrate in high school European History, but I can't remember who was defenestrated :)

    A favorite of mine is surreptitious- to keep secret. My mom always used it to remind me to hide a snack that my sister couldn't have because she was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Besides "callipygian" (thank you for this new favorite!), one of my all-time favorites has to be "sesquipedalian" meaning both having many syllables, and given to or characterized by the use of long words! Plus, it's so fun to say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun words are flooding my brain now!

    Loquacious: talkative, chatty
    Transubstantiation: the conversion of one substance into another
    Connubial: of, or relating to marriage
    Parsimonious: thrifty, stingy
    Hyperbole: exaggerated rhetorical device

    Plus, the German word "Doch", which is a simple but forceful way to say, "on the contrary".

    Fun to think of all my favorites... thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do not have a larger vocabulary than you - get real! But, I do sort of like the word capacious and I would enjoy a game of scrabble with you. Come on over! I just mixed up some chocolate chip cookie dough and Rich weighed every cookie so they are exactly the same size and very delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OK---you are such a nerd ans I am so dumb.Time to up my vocabulary.May favorite words are no where close to yours. Spunky, groovy, planetarium, y'all, flabbergasted, sugah(what my Paw Paw called me--meant sugar but said it as sugah) Off to expand my vocabulary.........:)

    ReplyDelete