Monday, December 6, 2010

Good Old Bob at J&B Auto

There are few things I miss from Minneapolis aside from people (most of whom are no longer there) and good restaurants. I love living in a small town and I am grateful I made the effort to integrate into the community for so many reasons. My children have been loved here. The librarians know my library number by heart. John Dow greets my kids by name at the Hardware store. People wave and stop to talk to you in town. They remind my kids to stay away from the street when I'm not looking. Janet and Bub joke around with my kids at the Center Store. Aaron and Dave honk their horns and wave hello every time they pass the house and we are outside. My neighbors are neighborly (in a good way).

Today I am glad for good old Bob of J&B Auto in Enfield. Bob poured the concrete for the foundation of the addition and did a great and reasonably priced job. He once saw me taking the wall jacks off the side of the house by myself and stopped to help me. He owns J&B Auto and is a good neighbor to have.

I was born in November, and in NH that means you need to get your car inspected and registered. I sent my mother-in-law to do the job six days late. I also needed new tires, and an oil change. The inspection and oil change were done promptly. When the tires didn't get delivered to the shop in time for her to leave to pick up Seth from school (Cora is throwing up), good old Bob said he'd settle up the account with John or I and that my South Dakotan mother-in-law didn't need to worry about it. I ask you, would that happen in Minneapolis? And would you get asked if you or John need anything on the phone - from the auto shop guy? Man, I love this town.

Being on bed rest has deepened my convictions about focusing outward, serving and being a part of my geographical and church communities. I hope John and I can contribute to the lives of the people around us. I want to expresses our love for the people around us in a (continuous) way.

So make sure to go to J&B Auto. Or you can call him if you need concrete work done. Bob is very fair and honest.

3 comments:

  1. Not only that, but it sounds like you could really get your car fixed correctly without a ton of "padding" on the bill. As in--people you can trust! And if you are looking for a way to pass on the helpfulness, try going to AnySoldier.com and looking over the entries. There are a ton of soldiers who never get any mail, especially in this age of emailing. So pick one out and take time to write a note. This is something you can even do from the sofa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you said "MOST of whom are no longer in Minneapolis." know that there are still mpls residents who miss and care about you and your family very much, read this blog faithfully, and are thinking about and praying for you during this time! I wish we lived closer to you guys so we could offer more help, but know that we are with you in spirit!

    Jami, Sarah, and Eleanor McLaren

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Jami and Sarah! I wish you could stop for a visit too. It would so nice, you have no idea. Glad to see all the pictures of Eleanor growing happy and strong!

    ReplyDelete