Monday, December 20, 2010

Quilting Obsession

I have a complete addiction to all things fiber related. Mostly to textiles. I have spent most of my life loving them, and I have spent the last 10 years reading about different techniques and their origins. I have books on textile history. I have countless instructional books - most of which give technique instruction rather than project instruction. I am not so interested in recreating other people's designs. For me, that takes away a lot of the creativity that I love. It takes the versatility out of mixing and matching techniques and materials.

Mostly, I love natural fibers - wool, specifically - and I have become a felter, selling my art through the League of NH Craftsmen. You can see some of my felting at www.mhfiber.com. I love the ability to make "paintings", sculpture and 3D pieces. I love the combination of something artful and functional. I love the softness of its lines. However, it is difficult for me to wet felt while laying down.

With bed rest, I have been trying to get my 10th anniversary quilt hand quilted - also difficult to do while laying down, but easier than wet felting. I think I might just barely squeak it out by the 29th - nine days from now. But with the excitement of finishing a quilt, comes the even greater excitement of starting the next one. (Oh, how I love starting projects! Sometimes I'm not the greatest at finishing them.) And with the idea of starting a new one, comes the countless hours of looking at other peoples work, allowing me to pull from here and there to create something completely new and completely my own. This is one of my favorite stages in the creation process. Here are some that I really love. I have found myself coming back to them. I might really like the color, or the layout, or even their scrappy nature. (I tend to lean toward scrap quilts.) I might like the block. Or I might just like it, at least today, without even knowing why. Sometimes it is a mood thing.

Tennesse Waltz Quilt

cathedral


Kim Haerland









Wheel of Mystery Quilt

No comments:

Post a Comment